DEPARTMENT: Family Ministries
SUPERVISOR: Director of Student Ministry, under the umbrella of the Associate Pastor for Family Ministries
FULL/PART TIME: Part-time; approximately 10 hours per week
Purpose of the Student Ministry Intern Position
- Equip students to be lifelong disciples of Jesus Christ who participate in Christ’s mission in Glen Ellyn, surrounding communities, and the world, promising to seek the fellowship of the church wherever they would go.
- Thoughtfully and creatively balance ministry to the “nones,” “dones,” and “wons.” (i.e.: non-Christians, the disaffected Christians, and intentional Christians).
Specifics of the Worship Ministry Intern Position
- Engage students where they’re at both physically (i.e.: their sporting events and plays) and spiritually (provide safe places to learn more about faith in Jesus Christ).
- Be a compelling role model to volunteers, inspiring their own relational ministry to students.
- Partner with DSM in all aspects of the mid-week ministry for middle school and high school, and nurture a magnetically Christian atmosphere in which every student feels safe and personally cared for by someone on the student ministry team.
- Collaborate in partnership with volunteers, both adult and student leaders, in all ministries.
- Attend trips, retreats, and special events as requested.
Students are Equipped:
- Students can articulate what it means to have faith in Jesus Christ and live lives transformed by having faith in him.
- Students are Biblically literate.
- Students understand what it means to have a rich personal prayer life and the importance of praying with others.
- Students are participating in a small group, attending worship, and engaging in mission.
- Students’ worldviews are expanded beyond affluent suburban culture via participation in ministry and mission.
- Students are sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with their friends.
- Student participation will increase within the middle school and high school ministry.
Students are integrated into the greater life of the Church:
- The Intern is helping students have meaningful connections with at least 3 adults who are not related to them.
- The Intern is engaging students in Sunday morning worship through participation and leadership.
- The intern is providing all first-time guests to the student ministry with exceptional and timely follow-up, in such a way that all students discover a welcoming community at First Pres.
Partnership with the Family Ministries Team
- The Intern is an effective collaborator with the various staff members under the umbrella of Family Ministries.
- Parents know they have a partner in the Intern as they seek to disciple their son and/or daughter as a follower of Jesus Christ.
- Additional tasks assigned by the Director of Student Ministry are accomplished in a timely fashion.
Who We Are
First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn has a rich history of engaging in both local and international mission and justice ministries. There is a long history of equipping people for a life-long journey of discipleship through participation in Bible study, small groups, and mission. We are a growing PC(USA) congregation with an emphasis on both discipleship and outreach, and are looking for someone to minister to youth through the same lens. Having wrestled through issues at both the denominational and congregational level, First Pres is a church that has remained a family-centered on Jesus Christ. We are a church that desires to see individuals of all ages serve alongside one another in what God is already doing in our church, community, and beyond.
Who The Intern Needs To Be
The Student Ministry Intern needs to be someone with a deep and growing faith in Jesus Christ, who possesses a high view of Scripture, and who is intentional with personal prayer and Bible study. While gifted at relational ministry, the Student Ministry Intern is emotionally mature and has healthy boundaries with the students to whom she/he ministers. This intern understands relational ministry, easily connects with youth, and has an understanding of current youth culture. He or she knows and humbly accepts his/her “growing edges.” The Student Ministry Intern attends worship and is periodically involved in worship leadership at First Pres.
- At least one year of college education preferred
- A proven interest in ministering to young people
Interns are paid a rate of $11 per hour.
How to Apply:
Interested? Contact Blake Riboli, Director of Student Ministries.