September 5, 2017
Did We Really Solve Anything Here?
Small Group Questions | Job 42:1-11
- Read Job 42:1-11 or all of Job 42 if you are able. (38-41 would be great too, as would 1-2, but hopefully they are familiar…)
- After 36 chapters of dialogue, struggle, and argument, Job heard from God in chapters 38-41. What conclusion does Job reach regarding God?
- What did Job confess in verse 3?
- Unpack Job’s conclusion from verses 4,5. What can we learn from what Job learned?
- What does Job think of his own behavior in chapters 3 through 37? What does verse 6 indicate?
- For what is Job repenting? Everything he said? Was he repenting for having claimed he was not suffering as punishment for his sins?
- What can we learn from Job regarding repentance and confession?
- Describe God’s rebuke of Job’s three friends. What were they required to do (v7-9)?
- What do you think of the role God gave Job in it? Why was Job able to intercede for his friends?
- What conclusion should we reach regarding the friends’ view of suffering and their view of Job’s sins?
- What do you make of the blessings God gave Job in the end – 42:10-17? (Everything is doubled, except his children.) What might you make of that? (His original family seemed to be people of faith. And therefore he should be seeing them again…)