The weekly News and Events provides information about ways you can join in the worship, mission, education, and fellowship of the church. For complete information on ministries and programs, and to view the church calendar, visit www.firstpresge.org
- Worship Schedule Contemporary worship 9am, Education for All 10:15am, Traditional worship 11:15am
- Office hours Mon-Friday 9am-5pm
- Summer Worship Schedule June 7 - August 16 at 9am and 10:30am. Summer office hours begin May 26, 9am-4pm M-Th, 9-noon on Fri. Church offices will be closed on Memorial Day, May 25.
- “I Am Not the Christ” John 1:19-28
- Listen to last Sunday’s sermon here.
- Sanctuary flowers were given by Susan Cristiano in honor of Maurine Hoeppner and Wilma Wark’s birthday.
- Please submit announcements, stories, thoughts, photos and video to firstname.lastname@example.org for New and Events or for Tidings.
Spring Sermon Series This Spring at First Pres we will take a look at the root causes of our busyness and the toxic spiritual dangers that busyness cultivates. We will get beyond mere “Time Management” tips to discover the biblical tools we need to get to the root of our issues with time. Make time to join us on Sunday mornings beginning April 12 to discover how to find rest in this crazy busy world. Download the free Discussion Guide here.
As a part of the sermon series you are invited to read the book, Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book About a (Really) Big Problem, with a group of fellow Busy-Bodies from First Pres. Hop in a group and join with others who are fighting the same battles with the calendar that you are. To find a group that is a fit for your life, family, and schedule, email email@example.com to begin the conversation.
53rd Sunday By long-standing tradition, we support Christian missions and missionaries through our annual 53rd Sunday offerings. We celebrate 53rd Sunday throughout the month of May every year. 53rd Sunday began in 1980 and represents an “extra” Sunday in the year when we dedicate additional financial support to Christian missions and ministries which are close to our hearts.
Installation Service for Kristine Aragon Bruce
Sunday, May 31 at 3pm with reception immediately following. All are invited to the installation service for Kristine Aragon Bruce as our Associate Pastor for Family Ministries. Please RSVP to the church office if you are in need of childcare, 630-469-2007. We hope you are able to attend!
Coffee for a Cause is Back Please join us during the month of May for a cup of Ugandan Gold coffee as we kick off our efforts to help Partners in Mission build a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Center at the Kamwenge Secondary & Vocational School in Uganda. Last year we told you about the fundraising efforts of Partners in Mission to build a badly needed kitchen and dining hall at the school. With everyone’s help, they were able to raise the full amount needed and the kitchen is to be completed by the end of this year! As the school continues to grow and provide education for the surrounding communities, the need to incorporate science, technology, and math into the curriculum to prepare students for jobs or college is great. Science facilities with laboratories plumbed for running water, and a secure computer lab and library, will complete the Center. This will be a 3 year, $350,000 project with a floor of the building being completed every year as the funds are raised.
Stop by the table for a delicious cup of Ugandan Gold coffee and find out more about how you can help. This week and next are the last Sundays we’ll be selling bags of Ugandan Gold Regular, Decaf, Cinnamon Sticky Bun Coffee. All proceeds will go toward building the new STEM center at the Kamwenge School.
Join us next Sunday for Celebration of the Arts Next Sunday we will feature photography by members of the congregation. Our theme is “This Is My Father’s World.” Contact Phyllis Kidd, firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information about including one or two of your pictures in the display.
developing ministries of evangelization, transformation, and education. Emmaus has recently moved into new
facilities in the Albany Park neighborhood in Chicago which will better serve their target population.
• men who have taken key steps in their recoveries to continue on those paths during the summer, when temptations become more intense.
• several men who have experienced setbacks in their recoveries (relapses, going back to jail) to find
strength and hope to trust that God loves them and will walk with them if they get up and try again.
• God to grant an extra measure of his spirit to staff, as the pressure on them increases in the summer.
• God to work through generous donors who provide needed funds when giving dips in the summer.
• the ministry as they modify their building to better meet needs of the men they serve and their staff.
• the ministry as they are about to sign a lease for space to house a new resale shop.
If you would like to contribute to the Dominican Republic trip, click here for online giving.
This June a group from First Pres will travel to the Dominican Republic to serve at-risk children in the Kids Alive orphanage and surrounding area of Constanza.
First Pres Family Camp 2015
Join us on the shores of Lake Geneva at Covenant Harbor Retreat Center for Labor Day Weekend. Day Rates available for Sunday. Contact Janelle Metz email@example.com or Erin Griggs firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Job Opening Judy Andersen, our faithful Administrative Assistant at the front desk recently retired. Please stay tuned for details about our plans to honor her this summer. In the meantime, there is place in the office on Mondays and Tuesdays for a new cheerful face at the front desk. Please visit the church website for a full description of the job.
Happy Retirement, Judy! The options are endless for tomorrow, as Judy decides what she is going to do on her first day of retirement. Join us as we thank her for 25 years of service. Judy, we wish you well!